This time of year, as the weather begins to cool down, everyone starts getting out their Fall and Halloween decor, soon to be followed by Christmas. This is also the time of year that Instagram and Pinterest start exploding with home tours and endless amounts of inspiration photos (I'm guilty).
There are so many beautifully decorated homes, my favorites by far are the ones that look like fall is delicately sprinkled throughout their home. Their everyday look and feel is still there, but with warmer touches; fall-like colors, or warm fall textures, or both, there's not a wrong way to add seasonal touches to your home.
The number one, and only, rule you need to follow when decorating your home, seasonally or everyday, is to use what you love. That being said, using blogs, magazines, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. are great ways to gather inspiration, and to figure out what you like and don't like as you are decorating your home. But, don't get caught up in feeling like you need to make you home look exactly like those pictures, choose the parts that you love and make you own style.
Here are a few things to think about as you are looking for inspiration and adding seasonal decor to your home:
- When you are looking at photos for inspiration: What is it that you like about how the room is decorated, is it a particular item, or is it the feeling the room gives you?
- How do I want this room to feel to me? How do I want this room to feel to my guests? Relaxed and cozy?, Formal and elegant?, Minimal?, Totally decked-out?
- What is my budget to get the look I want? (*My biggest tip for this one in particular is to shop after the holiday sales and get the most for your decor dollars. I hit up Michael's on November 1st to stock up on pumpkins and fall florals. A couple weeks after Christmas I stock up on ornaments and holiday decor. Most of the time you can end up with new decor for next year for 80% off!!)
- What is the feeling the season gives you? Use that to decorate your space. Adding warm throw blankets, switch up pillows, buy new candles that have a seasonal scent you love.
My tips for adding seasonal decor to your everyday decor:
- Small touches can make a big impact. A small arrangement of fall leaves in a vase you always use. Shop your home, a wooden bowl from your kitchen could be a perfect fall touch on your living room coffee table, don't be afraid to experiment!
- Layering textures is a great way to add a warm and cozy feeling to a room, without needing to change or add more colors.
- If you tend to use softer colors in your home, try a richer version of that color for the fall to add more depth and warmth. (Adding navy blue, bold green or rich plum for example.)
- Does fall make you think of apples instead of pumpkins? Go with it, the point is to use what makes your home feel seasonal to you, not what everyone else is doing.
- Along that same line, if you hate the color orange, or would never use yellow in your home, don't feel like you have to add it for the season. Pick another color that says fall to you and own it!
If you need some examples of mixing fall decor into your everyday home decor, here is some great inspiration:
Happy Fall Decorating!